BlogJune 21, 2017
Blog Series: Did You Pack the 12 Agile Principles on Your Agile Journey? Pt. 9: Technical Excellence
At CapTech, we believe the 12 Agile Principles from the Agile Manifesto are building blocks for a successful, sustainable Agile journey. Many pitfalls that organizations experience are due to oversight and lack of adherence to the Agile Principles. In this CapTech blog series, we will review the 12 Agile Principles, common issues that lead organizations astray, and solutions to get back on course throughout any Agile journey.Agile Principle #9: Continuous attention to technical excellence and good design enhances agility.
Common Issues that Lead Organizations Astray
- Aversion to change makes it difficult to maintain technical excellence and relevancy.
- There is a lack of design thinking and understanding.
- The vision does not expand beyond current understanding - innovation is nonexistent.
- Teams have not created standard of excellence that all work must adhere to.
- Creating a culture of continuous learning has not been made a priority.
Solutions that Lead Organizations Back on Course
- Change will always be difficult but the cost of not trying new things or fixing what's broken risks the organizations relevancy. Find incremental opportunities for change.
- Explore possibilities of what could be! Encourage Product Owners and Managers to evolve skillsets to include design thinking.
- Create with a purpose but don't stifle innovation. Understand what needs to be created but then allow flexibility in how it will be created.
- Establish a "Definition of Done": The standard of excellence that all User Stories will abide by and adhere to ensuring as little compromise to technical excellence as possible.
- Invest in training opportunities to further grow the skillsets of teams through conferences, workshops, webinars, online/in person courses, and cross-team collaboration.
Click here to download CapTech's 12 Principles of Agile Poster
Blog Series: Did you Pack the 12 Agile Principles on Your Agile Journey?
- Part 1: Deliver Value
- Part 2: Changing Requirements
- Part 3: Deliver Frequently
- Part 4: Work Together
- Part 5: Motivated Individuals
- Part 6: Face-to-Face Conversation
- Part 7: Working Solutions
- Part 8: Sustainability
- Part 9: Technical Excellence
- Part 10: Simplicity
- Part 11: Self-Organizing Teams
- Part 12: Reflect